Sunday, July 18, 2010

Yeast, Bacteria, and Fungus

Yesterday was another good day in black trumpet land. A smaller find than in some of the previous days, but it's always exciting to find black trumpets. I'm afraid, though, that my infatuation with the trumpet is undermining my long affair with chanterelles. I trust it'll all work out. Here are some of those trumpets (and my toes) drying in the sun:


I also got around to making a new batch of sauerkraut. Such an amazing food, and so much better than even the best stuff you can buy in stores (though I can't imagine why). By the way, if you've never made it, it couldn't be simpler. Chop up some cabbage, mash it up with salt until it releases moisture, stuff it into a glass or ceramic container, and weight it down to make sure it stays submerged in brine (add water as needed). Then let it sit out until it looks, smells, and tastes really good. Here's mine:


Brewing sauerkraut in the heat was not traditionally done, but works fine. It just brews faster, which means you also have a smaller window of opportunity for stopping the fermentation and getting it into the fridge while its flavor is optimal. Anyhow, I'm thrilled to have good local organic cabbage to work with, once again. Summer is good.

Cheers,

David

Update 7/19. Today was a really good day for shrooms:

No comments:

Post a Comment